Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Morning Walk Around My Garden

IMG_0931



Its a cool and drizzly morning here in Orchidland as I take a morning walk around the garden. There’s alot flowers blooming for us today that I would like to share with you on our walk, come and take a look.
This is a relatively new addition to my garden, a pretty hibiscus called ‘Yoda’ that I purchased from the Bian sale, an island wide grower show and plant sale. The double flowered petals and dual toned colors drew me to this plant and said ‘ take me home now '’.

IMG_0929


This is always a nice surprise when I keep getting these volunteer begonias popping up all over the garden, the polka dots on the leaves add such nice texture to this plant.

IMG_0937


One of my more prolific hibiscus plants. I keep trimming the tops to make this more dense, but the tallest stem is now reaching a height of 15 feet and just does not want to be contained, scary isn’t it?

IMG_0934


This white ginger is not as invasive as some of the other wild gingers which can overtake entire neighborhoods, it flowers constantly and the smells are really sweet and with perfumed ginger overtones.

IMG_0933


Here’s another hibiscus in my front garden next to the house. It just refuses to be controlled, even though I trimmed it drastically less than a few weeks ago, most of the stems are reaching 8 foot heights, time for some even more severe chopping.

IMG_0941

IMG_0942



All my pink Medinilla Magnifica plants are starting to unfold their beautiful cascades of pink florets, I’m just waiting until each flower petals start to come out and really put on a show.

IMG_0946


I love this bromeliad called, Aechmea blanchetiana, the inflorescense on this
bromeliad can last months and the foliage alone is this amazing chartreuse.

IMG_0944


This beautiful Mandevilla Splendens ‘Red Riding Hood’ has these intense deep red flowers, its really stunning don’t you think?

IMG_0938


You can’t imagine that entire back yards are filled with these small weeds we call princess flowers or Tibouchinas, even the larger Tibouchina urvilleana are such invasive weeds in our area, you pull one and dozens come back. At the higher elevations they are a deep purple color but in the lower areas they turn pink for some reason. The ones pictured here are the miniature Tibouchinas.

IMG_0951



Here’s one of my favorite Hibiscus blooms coming out again this morning, I love that they constantly bloom for me. Following are a few other tropical blooms showing off their blooms on our walk this morning.

IMG_1046



IMG_0936




IMG_0947





IMG_0948



I hope you enjoyed the walk around my garden this drizzly morning, all the plants are happy today!

To enjoy more views of other gardens around the world for bloom day, come and visit http://www.maydreamsgardens.com/

38 comments:

Elizabeth Barrow said...

Lovely pictures, as usual. I especially liked the begonia.
Cheers and happy bloom day!

Carol said...

I just love the differences in our worlds Noel! These blooms are so gorgeous and to me exotic. It is your garden! I enjoyed the walk very much. ;>)

lotusleaf said...

Thanks for the lovely morning walk, Noel. I have the same flowers as you. But I have not been able to get a medinella.Your flowers are beautiful.

Ami said...

Noel: We have so many common plants. My Aechmea blanchetiana is not blooming yet, but you are so right, the foliage itself add so many color into the garden. My most recent post has a picture of it surrounded by other plants. Love that cat's wisker flower, it is a non stopping bloomer for me. You have so many different kinds of hibiscus, all so beautiful, especially the one in the first picture. Thanks for the morning walk!

Sunita Mohan said...

That medinella really is magnificent! I wish we had them here but I haven't seen any in the nurseries here.
Your new hibiscus "Yoda" really is interesting . What an unusual combination of colours!

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Meravigliosa questa natura !
Amo tutti i tuoi fiori !
:)
Buona giornata.

Anonymous said...

Greetings Noel, It is always a great pleasure, and an education, to be in your garden. You will appreciate, I know, that you have so many very colourful and interesting plants which are, normally, seldom to be seen in Europe which makes a tour, such as this one, particularly special.

Ellada said...

Aloha Noel.
Fantastic flowers the last one.

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

Aloha Noel

What a walk! I'm excited as I scroll down the photos as there are so many colourful blooms that I've never seen before. Your hibiscus look great especially your new addition to the garden - that would make a great conservatory plant here with its colorful orange double blooms.

But since I love achemeas as houseplants that Aechmea is amazing with its coloured leaves. Have you ever grown the one with the purple flowers and the red stems with the silvery leaves that are quite sharp at the ends?

Great photos :)

Amy Farrier said...

Gorgeous blooms again! The double hibiscus is pretty amazing, although I really like the simpler one a couple of shots down. What a tropical paradise, and the raindrops just ramp up the lushness.

A Garden of Threads said...

Fabulous as usual. Love the cheery colors in your garden.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I could gaze upon those oranges and reds all day long... Quite stunning. :)

Dreamybee said...

I love all your hibiscus-great colors! If you ever run across 'Rosalind' that might be one you'd enjoy-fiery orange and yellow. I had a couple several years ago that were victimized by our new puppy at the time, and I haven't been able to find them again since, but they sure were pretty! Seems like they might go well in your yard. :)

Unknown said...

thank you so much for the comments on my blog..:) we lived on the big island for 4 years and i definitely miss the tropical flavors! thanks for showing them in their full glory!

aloha!!!

Helen/patientgardener said...

As always I am drolling over your wonderful exotic blooms - so very different to mine here in the UK, thanks

Anneliese said...

Wow, I really like that second hibiscus! Thanks for sharing your lovely blooms with the rest of us!

ConsciousGardener said...

Stunning show Noel! I love the Datura at the top of your post as well!

joco said...

It's a different world.
So much that is brilliant in shape and colour.
What you call Mandevilla, I seem to know as Dipladenia. that is about the only plant we have in common. Only mine are indoors :-)
Such unusual Hibiscus varieties. The double one especially.
I have to admit to a certain amount of envy :-)

Dorothy Borders said...

Whenever I visit your beautiful blog, I feel as if I'm vacationing on your wonderful island. What a treat!

Kimberly said...

Hi, Noel! Thank you so much for the tour...I love your garden! I can only imagine how difficult it must be to contain any plant in your region...the fertile soil and tropical conditions are perfect! You have so many fantastic blooms...your opening orchid is gorgeous; the pink medinilla magnifica is awesome with it's shoots of pink blooms; the firey brom is magnificent in its full color; and your hibiscus are glorious, especially the last one. Beautiful photos, Noel! Happy GBBD!

Noel Morata said...

aloha,

thanks for the comments, you might be really surprised to know in our area most of the ground is pure and hard lava rock which very shallow top soil....in fact on my yard if not for the beds that i built up soil, most of the ground have less than two inches of soil or are on solid and hard lavarock.

Gloria Bonde said...

Noek, How beautiful! I can only imagine the sweet fragrance. How interesting about your shallow soil. You must get lots of rain?

Town Mouse said...

Oh, I just love the Hibiscus. I remember how awed I was seeing them grow wild in Hawaii. And to see the different colors...

Happy bloom day!

Anonymous said...

Noel, I love seeing all those bright tropical plants in your garden -- so different from what I can grow. That yellow hibiscus may be a bit of a nuisance, but it's a wonderful color! -Jean

Janet/Plantaliscious said...

Thank you for a walk on the exotic side, particularly as the weather here is dull grey. You brightened my morning with your beautiful photos!

Christina said...

Hi Noel, thank you for your tour; it is wonderful to see the differences between two very different environments. Your rain makes everything lush, tall and exotic, my long, dry, windy summer makes my plants shorter and stiff!
Lovely photographs too.

Kathy said...

I so enjoyed walking around your garden. Beautiful blooms. Everything looks so lush and well, tropical! Love that bromeliad! And the last picture - the beautiful white spire - that is a thrill.

tumwijuke said...

What a beautiful garden and what lovely pictures. I like the yoda hibiscus especially.

debsgarden said...

Thanks for the tour of your garden! You have self-seeding begonias! I am so jealous! All of your tropical flowers are delightful. You must get a lot of pleasure walking in your garden.

Rose said...

I enjoyed the walk around your garden, even though it became an evening walk for me. What gorgeous hibiscus you have! I've never been to Hawaii, but how wonderful it must be to be able to grow all these lovely tropicals and not worry about frost coming soon.

Haddock said...

Simple things in life can be pretty

Unknown said...

Ah, I always love visiting your tropical paradise... where princess flowers grow like weeds. :) Thanks for the virtual tour, Noel!

Les said...

Lovely blooms, I am not sure how I could handle being able to grow so many tropicals.

mike hazeltree thompson said...

i adore the hibiscus...thanks for taking us all for a walk Noel...

Claudia said...

Super set of images, congratulations!

garden girl said...

What a lovely walk in your garden Noel, and how lucky you are to be living in your island paradise.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the tour round your blog. Such lovely flowers you have there. I had a medinilla years ago but it died a sudden death.

Sun seeker said...

Aloha Noel. Such a lovely garden. That you. We are in Kona . I found a lovely plant in Bermuda when we visited recently and don't know the name. If I sent you a photo do you suppose you might recognize it? It is leaf with a brilliant red marking that makes it appear like a flower.

Related Posts with Thumbnails