Monday, April 30, 2012

Bromeliad Envy

_MG_5041

 

While I’m working on my new center island project in the back yard, I visited a bromeliad grower/collector’s garden so I can get inspired and maybe purchase something that would add a nice accent to the various plantings I had in mind for this new bed.

 

 

Now this is not just a bromeliad garden, its one of the most unusual and exotic varieties carried by this grower/exporter. He has an extensive collection that any avid collector would drool over.

_MG_5017

 

Needless to say, I was in awe of all the amazing specimens not to mention at a lost for the correct names that he was mentioning left and right and totally not registering in my brain. All I can say was this was an amazing collection that kept me oooohing and aaaaahing at every corner of his garden.

 

_MG_5000

 

This one had me at hello, its my first purchase and the only one he had, say hello to my new friend which the grower grew from seed and is now about a foot in girth, there was no identification of this species available unfortunately.

_MG_5031

 

The grower had some great varieties of Tillandsias to see, this one was over a foot large which I thought was huge for these plants and the color was an intense orange, of course it wasn’t for sale.

 

_MG_5006

 

This gorgeous white growing on a coconut tree was not for sell either :(

 

_MG_5012

 

He even stuck a lot of the tillandsias in the ixora bushes which I thought was original.

 

_MG_5015

_MG_5034

 

 

Well hello you hot fuschia beauty, your stunning – wanna live in my garden?

_MG_5025

 

And you are just waaaaay over the top…..I have to just take you home with me now!

_MG_5039

 

 

 

The sculptural details on this one was just sublime….

 

_MG_5008

 

 

The green, red and yellow of this guzmania just stopped me on my walk because it was in a dark shady green area, but it just popped!

_MG_5027

 

 

 

 

This grower breeds unusual varieties like this huge purple aechmea, this specimen was over four feet in its width – gigantic!

_MG_5059

 

 

I loved this plant, I’m not sure what it is, maybe some type of caladium? I thought the leaves were huge and so colorful with their black veins contrasting with an orange red interior.

_MG_5038

 

 

 

I had to take a picture of this bloom, it was just beckoning me to come over and say hello.

_MG_5042

 

Well the friend that came with me, nabbed this gorgeous neoregalia beauty first….lets just say I was not happy and we didn’t talk on the car ride back!

 

_MG_5036-2

 

But I found another neoregalia that looked just as stunning, wouldn’t you agree?

 

_MG_5033

 

 

Here’s a last photo of a corner of his beautiful garden…wasn’t this just a fun tour? It really felt like being a kid in the candy store and finding something exciting….

 

_MG_5055

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Bromeliads but quite wary of the ones with thorns. The Noregalia that you've bought is beautiful. Wish I can have that in my garden - I'm truly envious!

Mark and Gaz said...

Bromeliads are such stunning plants. Wish we could grow more here without needing to fork out too much money on heating.

The Sage Butterfly said...

Beautiful! There are so many varieties, and you seem to have them all in that lovely bromeliad bed. I love all the colors and combinations.

Lyn said...

What an exciting trip you just took me on! I have Bromeliad envy now, but I won't hold it against you. Glad to have discovered your blog. I'll visit whenever I feel like a tropical holiday.

James David said...

Yes - it was truly a show and a beautiful tour indeed to experience.
Thank you for sharing this.
Enjoyed each and every beautiful picture you posted.

Sandy said...

I have several Bromeliad's but nothing as nice as yours.. here in Florida we can grow them also..
very nice photos. Makes me want to grow more...
Sandy

Unknown said...

Where did my comment go? Re: Your comment about the inks. Google Adirondack Alcohol Inks, they are for non-porous surfaces like tiles. So, so much fun to work with. They have some great Youtube videos about them as well.

Unknown said...

Ohh my gosh, those are the most amazing Bromeliads I've ever seen or even dreamed of! You are so lucky to see that garden in person. But I'm truly greatful for the amazing photos you took! Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails