Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Scented Rhododendron Called Aravir

 

IMG_1428

 

This is one of my new favorite flowers in bloom, its a tropical rhododendron or Vireya called Aravir. I recently did a post on this when I visited the White Cloud Nursery and show garden here in East Hawaii.

After spotting this beautiful vireya, I knew I just had to have one, (how can you not visit a nursery and go away empty handed) ?  My new love Aravir, is a real showstopper. It is heavenly scented with soft perfumy and jasmine overtones. Those large white flowers bloom regularly during the year, and I have it planted in the font walkway so I can catch a whiff on my daily walks.

I’ve even taken a few cuttings already since they propagate very easily in cinder soil. Since these plants are ephiphytes, they grow easily in tropical environments, but you can easily make them comfortable in your garden with a minimum of fuss as a potted plant that you can spritz occasionally.

Oh Aravir, Aravir …. how you make my morning walks complete ( I know real corny, but thats the way I like it sometimes).

To see more amazing flowers from today go to  http://flowersfromtoday.blogspot.com/

15 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful plant! A dear friend of mine has just returned from Oahu and has photos to show me. Can't wait to see her perspective. Most rhodos here aren't fragrant or are only slightly, but the azaleas have more scent.

Meredith said...

Gorgeous! I didn't realize rhododendrons have a scent at all. Here we have quite a few native to the Appalachian Mountains. I'll have to check with my nose this spring!

Carol said...

Your photograph makes me want to be corny too Noel! How beautiful!!! and fragrant too. I just love the long tubular pure white flowers dashed with the delicate style, stigma, stamens and anthers mirroring the stems of the flowers. I imagine some beautiful hummingbird sipping from the blooms. Exquisite!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I can almost smell it!! Our rhodies here don't have a scent. beautiful photography

RURAL said...

Those do look stunning!

Jen

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

BernieH said...

Your beautiful white vireya has really caught my eye ... it's fantastic. Will have to look out for these now!

Barry said...

What a spectacular beauty, I can easily understand the desire to ponticicate her virtues to all who will listen. And fragrant as well.... seems like you have discovered the near perfect plant!

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

These flowers are fantastic!

Lona said...

What a beauty. I can see why you are thrilled with it. Ours do not have a fragrance so you have an added bonus with yours.

Sunny said...

Aloha Nole, lovely flowers, I was over in Hawaii the before last and loved it, some beautiful plants over there, in fact some beautiful everything over there.

Floridagirl said...

Wow, I love this plant. So beautiful! I'm sure Zone 9 Florida is too cold. And, of course, it's too hot here for rhododendrons. Do you, by any chance, know the cold hardiness of Vireyas?

Rosie said...

each year our garden center sells the peachy coloured one - I've never tried as I have no room to keep it indoors during the winter months. I'll just have to be content with looking at your wonderful pics Noel - I never noticed a scent on the peach ones - I must check that out - they are not very popular over here due to their overwintering demands.

Andrea said...

a very beautiful rhododendron. I didn't know they are epiphytes. I still recall the Rhododendron festival in Sydney and was really enthralled by their beauty. I didn't have much time to see the flowers close-up in Hawaii because i only had 2 weeks, but enough to visit the 3 main islands and the active volcano, plus the canning process at Del Monte, and the macadamia farms.

sweetbay said...

What exquisite flowers! And fragrant too -- sounds like a dream.

Related Posts with Thumbnails