Saturday, April 2, 2011

Orchid Mania



I can never get tired of seeing amazing new orchid species and visiting orchid nurseries in Hawaii. Akatsukas in Volcano is an institution in East Hawaii. I regularly stop by when I'm up in the cooler areas of Volcano visiting friends or touring with some friends.




As you can see they specialize in the very showy cattleya orchids, which is very unusual for the cooler climates of Volcano. But since they are hardened in this cooler climate, the plants end up being hardier, resistant to pests and the flowers are even more intense in coloration and longer lasting.




I love this hot fuschia and red combination named Cattleya-Rlc. Teri Nardini Smigielski, isn't it just a beauty? The striped red and yellow throat just draws you in completely.




They also carry a variety of other orchid species like miltonias, this one a vivid red named Milt. Bert. Field 'Leash' is one of their best selling milts.



 


This un-named Phalaenopsis must be one of their newer hybrids since it was not tagged and did not have a sales tag.  The exciting new color combination of pink and yellow with white edging makes it quite a show stopper - I have a feeling this will become a very popular orchid in their collections.





This orange yellow has a nice lite and sweet scent like perfumed jasmine.



Another on of their popular scented cattleyas called Cattleya-Pot. Mitsuo Akatsuka 'Volcano Queen', the scent was very strong when I visited in the morning time frame.



I hope you enjoyed the tour of Akatsuka's Nursery.  Come and visit other posts for today's flowers at http://flowersfromtoday.blogspot.com/



16 comments:

Chandramouli S said...

Whoa! So many lovely orchids and scented ones too???!!! That's great.

HolleyGarden said...

They are all so pretty, but the red and yellow is drop-dead gorgeous. Thanks for sharing these beautiful blooms.

Laura said...

Such vibrancy...absolutely exquisite!

Judy said...

I'm not that much on orchids, but the datura or brugmansia you have in your header is gorgeous!!! I love the way the sun comes through the petals!!!

Laerte Pupo said...

Beautiful orquideas.
I like its.

January Zelene said...

A big WOW for all the photos. the orchids are very colorful and beautiful.

Here’s My Flower for Today Lavender

Andrea said...

Great hybrids Noelle. Hawaii is really very famous not only in breeding anthuriums and hibiscus but catleyas, as well, and of course papaya, haha. I have some friends in UH Manoa and USDA Hilo. I wonder why i am not really so amazed at catleya, even if i acknowledge their size and beauty and scent. I even prefer that Miltonia if ever asked which i like to have!

One said...

Gorgeous orchids. The hot meme comes to mind. :)

I've put a link to your blog in my current post; http://onenezz.blogspot.com/2011/04/caption-fun.html.

Ever Green Tree said...

Aloha! Each time i see your Orchids pix, i am tempted to try and grow them here as well. Indian summers are blanched and hot bereft of flowers except sunflowers. lovely shots!

Geraldine said...

The color of each orchid is so amazing, the velvety texture too. Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing. Aloha from BC Canada!

Jess said...

I have finally been able to keep one of these babies alive in my house. Finally! Granted, it is not as spectacular as any of these, but I take what I can get.

Alistair said...

I like them all, but the unnamed Phalaenopsis steals the show.

p3chandan said...

Aloha Noelle...those are indeed gorgeous orchids! Have never come across orchids with sweet fragrance before, truly amazing colours and patterns!

Arija said...

Your red orchids in Hawaii are so much more brilliant than ours in Australia. Lovely orchids and photos.

Food so delicious! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Food so delicious! said...

OMG!!!!! The orchids are simply magnificant!! I love them.. but, sigh, I can never get them to bloom beautiful flowers...

I see Hawaii is still the same.. just like how I remember it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails