Monday, November 23, 2009

A Plant Fanatics Discoveries at the Farmers Market

One of my favorite Sunday morning activities is to go visit our local farmers market here in East Hawaii called the Macuu Farmers Market outside of Pahoa town. It is packed with a variety of food purveyors, fruit and vegetable sellers, craft and souvenir stallss and then my favorite, the plant vendors.

You know a true plant fantatic like myself will always find new babies to take home and pamper.  I've made alot of good friends with the plant vendors, so I can get some great growing tips and of course better deals from these vendors. I actually end going direct to their greenhouse nurseries afterwards so I can pick up the best of their offerings outside of what they have at the farmers market.

Here are some of my current favorite vendors and amazing plants that I couldn't pass up on....

Amparo Castro runs Tikal Flowers and mostly specializes in exotic anthuriums and Obake types that she has been growing for over 20 years initially as a hobby and then mostly as a farmers market vendor here at Macuu Market.
She specializes in amazing variegated varieties and large flowered obake specimens.




Here's a beauty that I couldn't pass up on, its called Anthurium Pele, after the godess Pele....just amazing.





Here's another obake type Anthurium that is over a foot long in size, beautiful variegation.



Come and talk to Amparo at Macuu Market, she is extremely knowledeable and very friendly and will give you a good deal.



Kataua, runs Katua Industries and has been selling at the farmers market for over 5 years and even longer at the another market in Pahoa town. Her favorite sellers are usually flowers with a fagrance and her booth smells wonderful.



Here's one of my favorites that she was selling, its a Double Pikaki or double Arabian Jasminun called the Grand Duke of Tuscany...aaaaah, the scent is purely intoxicating!  A fantastic deal for $6, I'll take this one please.


I always buy my vegetable starts from Josie at Josie's Nursery, who can resist when you can get 10 healthy plants for under $5.00.


She also has beautiful exotics, I loved these two that she was selling that day.
Medinilla Cumingii, beautiful pink cascades, this grows very quickly in tropical climates.




Mendinilla Lalique, beautiful white cascades




Now Phil at High Point Tropicals really collects and sells everything exotic that he can get his hands on and he always shows plants that are blooming and ready for a quick indulgent purchase.

I loved most of the beautiful vireyas that he was showing including this Vireya named Calabar



Phil has a website that you can check out at http://www.hi-point.net/   He also likes to talk story at his stall, so drop by and say hello.

You know, orchids are snapped up fast at Macuu farmers market and Kalapana Tropicals does not disappoint. Denise at Kalapana mentions that they have been growing orchids for over 26 years and focus on beautiful orchids grown in Hawaii. They sell all their overuns here for $5 and there is alot of scented varieties that caught my eye right away.

Here's a Miltonia called Red Brick Road, sweet vanilla scent, like morning rain.




Here's a beautiful Paphiopedilum mix hybrid called Hana Makusum x Green Heron




Another dazzler called Paphiopedilum Black Buddy



Come and talk to Denise about orchids and get some great orchid tips from her when you visit, or go to their online site at http://www.kalapanatropicals.com/



Here are a few more plants that I couldn't pass up on....






Well that was a successful visit, now you'll just have to come over to the Macuu market when you are in East Hawaii to pick up some of these beauties yourself....

12 comments:

J.J. said...

Such lovely anthriums, i have never really noticed them until now- thanks!

The Violet Fern said...

How lucky for you to have such a fantastic market and to meet the growers face to face! And what great prices! Good thing I wasn't there - there might not have been anything left. I have just happened across your blog and already enjoy it very much which is why I am extending an award to you in my latest post "Heavenly But Not Blue." Please do not feel obligated if this is not your sort of thing - just know I think your blog is great!

Helen said...

Nothing would please me more than being able to drop by the farmers' market... but it's unfortunately a bit of a hike from Toronto. Loved your photos, and kept finding new ways to say oooo and aaaaaaah with each one. Thanks for the tour.

noel said...

Thanks everyone for making some wonderful comments....i'm just reliving this day again.

Rothschild Orchid said...

Wow! What heavenly orchids. I wish I had some of those in my local market.

RO :o)

Amy said...

I don't think I could pass those up either...if I could grow them. You bought some beautiful plants! Have fun planting...:)

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

The Anthuriums are majestic! Well, all the plants are beautiful. Black Buddy is funny! I need such sunny wonderful morning at the market! We are soaked here!

fairegarden said...

I was waiting to see if there were orchids there and hooray, there were! Going to the farmer's market for nice produce and what a bonus, nice plants sounds like heaven. I am helplessly addicted to Paphs, those are wonderful. :-)
Frances

azplantlady said...

Hello Noel,

I love how you introduced us to some of the special people at the farmer's market in addition to their wares. The plants are so beautiful!

janie said...

Gorgeous plants. I read and re-read. It is nice to meet you, Noel, glad you are here.

Carol said...

What a difference a climate makes . . . your farmers market is fantastic! I love all the orchids... especially the paphs and the Mendinilla cascades are lovely too. Beautiful photos! Carol

Janet said...

We too have Farmers Markets and they also sell plants but there the similarity ends. The last time I photographed Medinilla cumingii was in a greenhouse at the Botanics! Lovely post, Noel.

Related Posts with Thumbnails