Monday, April 1, 2013

Enjoying the west side at Polulu Valley,Hawii



Its nice to switch it up and visit the west side of Hawaii island for a change of pace. After an assignment in Kona, I wanted to drive out to Hawi and hike down Polulu valley to the black sand beach, and with any luck catch an amazing sunset which I've never experienced at Polulu.

Unfortunately, it seems like whenever I visit Polulu, its always socked in with clouds, stormy skies, and no sunsets - a little disapppointing considering the drive.


Oh well, here's the scene from the lookout point to the rugged coastlines on this grey, grey day.




The light was flat with even clouds creating a washed out atmosphere to the usually dramatic landscape. Walking back to the car, I did notice some beautiful wildflowers all over the roadway which I've never noticed before, and they were blooming everywhere. Its always amazing how inspiration can change instantly when you keep your eyes open and observe things differently in the landscape.

In this lighting, photographing plants and flowers is very flattering, framing the view with texture and color to create a pleasing image.


Inspiration comes back into view:





Beautiful white wildflowers frame this entire field creating a sweeping panorama with a gorgeous wild flower foreground below.









I'm loving this image that I converted to a black and white, the wildflowers just seem to pop out drammatically against the dark green hillsides. Even though this didn't turn out well for a sunset opportunity, I was able to find something just as interesting wih the wildflowers and creating a different mood to Polulu, definitely worth the drive.










©Noel Morata, All rights reserved



Come and visit my photography website at http://noelmorata.photoshelter.com/

6 comments:

Mark and Gaz said...

It looks magical Noel!

Noel Morata said...

I think you guys should come for a visit to Hawaii :)

sharon said...

I adore it there!!!...my favorite island....

Unknown said...

Beautiful views. I love the first photo the most.

Aiketa said...

WOW!!! I'm amazed by the beauty of this place, even though it was a grey day... Still so very beautiful. Once again, I need to visit Hawaii someday!

waikiki surf lessons said...

Breathtaking views of Hawaii, love to see them soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails